In Ghana one of the things that comes with Christmas is the Harmattan fever. It is no news that the wind of Harmattan is blowing everywhere in the various parts of the country. Harmattan is a typical geographical feature of the Sahara and savannah region of West Africa, usually accompanied by cold, haze, dusty and dry weather. It is characterized by strong wind, which blows south from the Sahara into the gulf of Guinea.
Harmattan can damage our health in many ways: it affects our skin, eyes and respiratory tract. It cracks your lips and damages your skin. The eyes are also vulnerable to dust. A lot of other unpleasant diseases are easily triggered by this weather as well. Here are some tips on how to make this season easier for your health. Keep reading!1. Drink more water. Remember that this should be just water. Juice, tea or coffee don’t count. An adult should drink approximately 1.5-2 liters of pure water daily.
2. Avoid carbonated drinks. Don’t drink soda, coke and other carbonated soft drinks. They dehydrate your skin.
3. Avoid antiseptic soap. You should use it only when you have some skin problems or an infection. This kind of soap should be used only for short periods of time, and only for treatment.
4. Don’t forget to apply oily creams to keep the skin healthy. Your clothes should be weather friendly as well. The skin should be kept healthy by applying creams especially natural shear butter to moisturize the body and keep it from dryness.
5. Use special lip balms and apply some oily cream or shear butter or Vaseline to the soles of the feet. It will help to prevent them from cracking.
6. If your hair is long, you should keep it moisturized. Have hairstyles that keep the ends of your hair hidden. You can also wrap it to protect your hair from the dust.
7. Your clothes should be warm enough to protect you from the cold.
8. Don’t forget to rinse your eyes with clean water. If you can, wear protective spectacles. Reduce exposure to the dust as much as possible.
9. If you have asthma or some other respiratory conditions, you should pay special attention to your health. Take all possible measures to reduce exposure to the dirty and dusty atmosphere. Carry your inhalers with you at all times.
11. Keep your house warm. But don’t forget that harmattan is also the season when we have the most fire accidents. Fire should not be left unattended at any cost. This would help to avoid indiscriminate burning during this season
Now after following the above healthy lifestyle to protect your health from harmattan you can then be assured of a Verna Christmas of diseases free.
This is brought to you by Verna Natural Mineral Water. Grab a bottle of Verna to cool your nerves this season. Join the hash tag on social media #VernaChanginglives